This post has come about because I posted an article about reasons why people might find that Frontline wasn’t working and in that article I basically put any perceived ineffectiveness down to the product perhaps being used incorrectly. Since posting the article I’ve received comments on the blog and emails from people who have successfully used Frontline for years and who now find that it doesn’t work for them. They raised the point that if it used to work, but doesn’t now, the product must have become ineffective.
Since I could only gather people’s views on the subject I decided to pass their concerns on to Merial, the makers of Frontline and ask if they are aware of any issues with Frontline not working. I don’t have any agenda here, I am just passing on your concerns and reporting back Merial’s reply.
Merial told me that they are aware of speculation on the internet that Frontline has ceased to be effective. However, their own clinical studies, and those of their competitors, which have been carried out since the product’s launch through to the present, show that Frontline still works as effectively as when introduced.
In the manufacturer’s view, the “myth” of flea products not working is actually the result of three factors:
- a lack of understanding of who the flea cycle works
- misconceptions about how flea products work
- misconceptions about what flea products can achieve.
Merial suggest that if you find that Frontline is not working, you should ask yourself whether you have
- treated all animals in the home
- consistently treated them every thirty days
- treated your home as well as your pet
- given it enough time; a flea infestation will probably take at least three months to shift.
If you take a break from treatment, even during winter, it is possible for “hitch-hiker” fleas, to survive and lay eggs around your home. Whilst these might not hatch when the weather is cooler, when summer arrives you will have an infestation in your home without even realising it is developing. Once you have an infestation, you can’t leave it to treating your pet alone; you need to tackle the flea population living in your house too (remember that only 5% of the fleas live on the pet, the other 95% are secreted around your house). The eggs and cocoons around your house won’t be affected by you treating your pet; only when these hatch into adult fleas and jump onto your pet will they be killed. Whilst this will mean that the number of cocoons in the house will gradually diminish, you really need to speed the process up by treating the house to get rid of fleas, which I’ve discussed in earlier posts. It took me several months to completely eradicate the flea infestation I had; several months of daily vacuum cleaning plus using flea treatments.
Here is a video, recommended by Merial, that discusses the issue of perceived ineffectiveness of Frontline:
Merial have also sent me an information sheet for pet owners which I may post as a downloadable file. In the meantime, here are some further information sources passed on by Merial:
UK Customer Helpline (0870 6000 123)
Frontline Webpage www.frontline.com
Many thanks to all the people who have commented and emailed; I hope that you have found this post interesting.